Thursday, May 19, 2011

Brian's Proposal

One year from today, Brian and I will be married! Our wedding date is set for May 19, 2012, and I'm so excited. In lieu of our future wedding date, I asked Brian to write a "guest post" about his propsal. He proposed in March while we were at the beach with friends. I was shocked. Here's his account:

Hillary asked that I write a blog post regarding my proposal and our engagement during our trip to Florida.  The trip down to Florida with Daniel, Brooke, Luke, and Emily reminded me of the Lord of the Rings and my duty, like Frodo, to carry the ring safely to its final destination. 
               
During our drive from my apartment in Birmingham to Seagrove, Florida, the ring seemed to burn a whole in my mind.  It was safely hidden in my suitcase where Hillary could not find it, just in case she had the slightest inclination I might be proposing and decided to search for it.  I knew that I wanted to propose the first evening we were down there so we could celebrate the rest of the trip.  All three floors of the house we rented had a balcony, and my plan was to propose on the top balcony (where you could see the ocean) over drinks with friends as the sun set.  I wanted to stay agile with my plans in case the evening's events changed. 
             
We arrived at the house late afternoon, and once we finished unpacking, everyone wanted to go up to the top porch to have drinks.  My plan was falling in to place perfectly.  Brooke began taking pictures, and I asked if she would take a picture of us.  I had already grabbed the ring from my bag and put it into my pocket so I could propose when the timing was perfect.  I got down on one knee and completely surprised Hillary by asking her to marry me.  The only words she thought to say were, “Are you kidding me?”  No, Hillary.  I’m down on one knee with a piece of compressed carbon in my hand.  I am not kidding.  To my relief, she said yes. 



We loved being able to celebrate the evening with friends and really enjoy the rest of our time at the beach. 


I am so fortunate to have found someone that makes me so happy, and I look forward to spending the rest of my life with her.



No comments:

Post a Comment