Monday, July 4, 2011

Meet Emma

I have a new roommate at Laurel Hollow. Meet Emma.
I was in Birmingham visiting Brian when I got a text from my sister who was at the Memphis Famers' Market with my mom and dad. "I found a puppy at the farmers' market. A German shepherd mix. I cried," it read.

For those of you who don't know, we lost our beloved mutt Madison in February. She was 13 years old and sick with cancer. It was a fast decline, and we eventually had to put her to sleep. It was tragic, and we still miss her so much. I was 9 when we adopted her. Leah was 6. Though we don't know her origin for sure, she looked a lot like a German shepherd mix.


I didn't think much of Leah's text at first. But then she proceeded to tell me how much she can't stop thinking of the puppies (there were two). They'd left the famers' market and gone to breakfast, but Leah was devastated that they'd left the puppies behind.

I couldn't help but think how ironic it all was. A German shepherd mix whose mom was stray just like Madison's. The owner had found the mom and puppies in a junkyard. A "rescue dog" just like Madison. And it was Madison's 14th birthday. We'd always said that we wanted a German shepherd next... someday when we were ready.

By this time, I was talking to my mom on the phone. They were headed back to the farmers' market to take a second look, she said. My dad was the only one still opposed. The puppies were still there when they arrived. But one of the two -- a boy -- had been promised to another family. While they played with the puppy, they talked to the owner about the adoption process and about the pup's personality. They learned she's 12 weeks old and a mild-mannered, sweet dog. She still needed two more shots. Leah sent me a picture.

With the farmers' market about to close for the day, my family agreed to meet the lady and the puppy at a nearby Pet Smart to talk some more. On the way to Pet Smart, my parents started to have second thoughts. (I, of course, was on and off the phone with them, freaking out 200+ miles away.) Spontaneity is not an Adams thing when it comes to big decisions. Leah, too, was worried we were replacing Madison too soon.

But once they saw her again at Pet Smart, they were hooked.

So just hours after my family first laid eyes on her at the farmers' market, she made herself at home at Laurel Hollow -- with a green polka dot collar, a water/food bowl, a brand new kennel and leash, and a name: Emma. She's here to stay.

1 comment: